PC Upends No. 2 Campbell to Advance to Big South Championship Match
ROCK HILL, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team engineered a rally to remember in its semifinal match on Saturday morning, as Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) rallied from down 3-1 in the third set of a deciding third-flight match to push PC past No. 2 Campbell into the championship match of the 2013 Big South Conference Men’s Tennis Championship. The Blue Hose will square off against top-seeded Coastal Carolina at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday for a spot in the NCAA Tournament.
Campbell led 3-2 on Friday before rain halted play at 3:08 p.m. The match resumed at 9 a.m. on Saturday and the Blue Hose received clutch wins from William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) and Berghaus to seal the win.
PC improves to 21-9 and will look to defeat the Chanticleers, who went through the league season undefeated. Coastal edged PC in a nail-biter on March 21 in Clinton, 4-3. Campbell sees its season end at 14-7.
O’Connell led 1-0 in the third set and cruised past Adrien Rossignon at the second flight, 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-1. The win tied the dual match at 3-3 and shifted all attention to No. 3 singles and the match between Berghaus and Steven Billington. Berghaus had fallen behind on Friday afternoon in the third set, 3-1, but the rejuvenated junior rallied to knock off the Camel, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4 and give PC the semifinal victory.
PC captured a doubles win at No. 3 as Edward Snead IV (Greenwood, S.C.) and Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) knocked off Steven Billington and Rik Van Gerwen, 8-2, before the Camels responded with a pair of victories to clinch the doubles point. Fernando Guillen and Rossingnon defeated Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, Germany) and O’Connell at No. 1 and Josep Baro and David Clavera sealed the point by topping Berghaus and Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) at No. 2, 8-2.
The first singles win came at the fourth flight from PC. Bruce dispatched David Clavera in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, before Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) gave PC another win at No. 6 in a 6-3, 6-1 verdict over Van Gerwen.
Fernando Guillen then pulled the Camels even with a No. 1 win over Mills, 6-1, 6-3. Teammate Baro followed at the fifth flight with a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Brigham.
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 6-1, 6-3
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-1
3. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
4. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. David Clavera (CAM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-2, 6-2
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) 6-3, 6-1
1. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 8-6
2. Josep Baro/David Clavera (CAM) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 8-2
3. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) def. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) 8-2