ROCK HILL, S.C. – The No. 3 Presbyterian College men’s tennis team used the doubles point and a trio of singles victories to defeat No. 6 Gardner-Webb in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Big South Conference Men’s Tennis Championship at the Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts.
PC improves to 20-7 and will face No. 2 Campbell in the Championship’s semifinals on Friday. The match will begin after the conclusion of the Radford vs. Coastal Carolina match at 8 a.m. Gardner-Webb ends the season at 9-10.
William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) sealed the win at the second flight with a 6-4, 5-7, 6-2 result over Benjamin Kaszas. The victory gives the senior his 15th on the year and called back memories of O’Connell’s deciding semifinal win over Coastal Carolina.
PC clinched the doubles point thanks to a pair of wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Big South Conference Second Flight Co-Champions Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) and Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) downed Adam Knutsson and Nikita Zverkov at the second flight, 8-6, before Edward Snead IV (Greenwood, S.C.) and Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) pushed past Kaszas and Joao Poli at No. 3 in an 8-4 result.
Gardner-Webb grabbed the dual match’s first singles win at No. 3 when Roman Piftor topped Berghaus in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Brendan Dempsey followed at No. 6 by taking down Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) to pull the Runnin’ Bulldogs ahead, 2-1.
PC answered at the top flight as Mills edged Knutsson, 7-6, 6-3. Teammate Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) followed at No. 5 singles in the night’s first three-set verdict over Zverkov, 3-6, 6-4, 6-0, setting up O’Connell’s dual match-deciding victory at No. 2.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Adam Knutsson (GWU) 7-6, 6-3
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Benjamin Kaszas (GWU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
3. Roman Piftor (GWU) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-3, 6-2
4. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) vs. Ernest Alberch (GWU) 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 3-2, unfinished
5. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. Nikita Zverkov (GWU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Brendan Dempsey (GWU) def. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) 6-4, 6-3
1. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) vs. Matt Parker/Ernest Alberch (GWU) 7-6, unfinished
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Adam Knutsson/Nikita Zverkov (GWU) 8-6
3. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) def. Benjamin Kaszas/Joao Poli (GWU) 8-4