LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team came up short in a Big South Conference match at Liberty on Thursday afternoon, 4-3.
PC moves to 15-8 on the year and 2-2 in the Big South while Liberty improves to 10-6 overall and 3-2 in league play. The Blue Hose will head to Radford to face the Highlanders on Friday at 2 p.m.
The Blue Hose won three singles matches but could not pull out the final victory.
Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) grabbed a win at the top flight to even the dual match at 1-1 following Liberty’s doubles point. Mills knocked off Siim Tuus at No. 1, 6-4, 6-2.
Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) followed to pull the Blue Hose in front at the fifth flight. Brigham bested Stan Vaughn in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
Shea Thomas edged William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) at the second flight to even the match at 2-2. Thomas took the win by a 7-5, 6-4 margin. Dillon Segur then bumped off Danny Bruce at the third flight, 6-4, 7-6.
PC’s final win came at the sixth flight from Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain). The junior picked up his team-leading 16th singles victory by taking down Egon Samaai in a three-set verdict, 2-6, 7-6, 6-2.
Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) found himself pitted in a fourth-flight battle to decide the match but opponent Jorge Azuero held off the Blue Hose, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
In doubles action, Berghaus and Mills ran their Big South doubles record together to 3-1 this season by toppling Segur and Azuero, 8-3.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. TUUS, Siim (LIBERTYM) 6-4, 6-2
2. THOMAS, Shea (LIBERTYM) def. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 7-5, 6-4
3. SEGUR, Dillon (LIBERTYM) def. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 6-4, 7-6
4. AZUERO, Jorge (LIBERTYM) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. VAUGHAN, Stan (LIBERTYM) 6-3, 6-4
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. SAMAAI, Egon (LIBERTYM) 2-6, 7-6, 6-2
1. THOMAS, Shea/SAMAAI, Egon (LIBERTYM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 8-5
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. SEGUR, Dillon/AZUERO, Jorge (LIBERTYM) 8-3
3. TUUS, Siim/SECANELL, Guillem (LIBERTYM) def. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) 8-4