Men's Tennis Blanks Saint Joseph's, Grand Valley State
ORLANDO, Fla. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team grabbed two 7-0 wins over Saint Joseph’s and Grand Valley State on Friday, extending the team’s win streak to eight straight matches.
PC moves to 12-6 on the year by winning all five matches of its spring break trip to Orlando. The Blue Hose take a week off of competition before hosting Coker and Limestone on Saturday, March 16, at 9:30 a.m.
Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) extended his win streak to nine. William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) ran his singles streak to seven while Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) has won his last six and eight of his last 10.
PC 7, Saint Joseph’s 0
The Blue Hose won all nine matches en route to the shutout.
Berghaus toughed out the match’s only three-set win against Pierre Brondeau at the fourth flight, battling to a 1-6, 6-1, 6-0 victory.
Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) took a top-flight match from Alex Veronis, 7-5, 6-0, while O’Connell knocked off Tommy Gates, 6-2, 6-4.
Bruce cruised to his 12th straight win of the season in a convincing fourth-flight contest against Jose Sierra, 6-4, 6-2.
Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) ran into a difficult opponent in Dan Barrus at No. 6 but prevailed, 7-6, 7-5. At No. 5, Brigham knocked off Max Montague, 6-4, 6-4.
In doubles action, O’Connell and Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) handled Montague and Sierra, 8-3, while Berghaus and Mills dispatched Gates and Barrus.
At No. 3, Bruce and Edward Snead IV (Greenwood, S.C.) defeated Alex Veronis and Pierre Brondeau, 8-5.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Alex Veronis (SJUM) 7-5, 6-0
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Tommy Gates (SJUM) 6-2, 6-4
3. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. Jose Sierra (SJUM) 6-4, 6-2\
4. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Pierre Brondeau (SJUM) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0\
5. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. Max Montague (SJUM) 6-4, 6-4
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Dan Barrus (SJUM) 7-6, 7-5
1. O'CONNELL, William/BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. Max Montague/Jose Sierra (SJUM) 8-3
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Tommy Gates/Dan Barrus (SJUM) 8-4\
3. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) def. Alex Veronis/Pierre Brondeau (SJUM) 8-5
PC 7, Grand Valley State 0
The Blue Hose followed up its earlier win with another 7-0 blanking of Grand Valley State.
Steven Weaver (Charleston, S.C.) and P.H. Broyhill (Hickory, N.C.) rolled to wins in both singles and doubles. Weaver bested Andrew Heuerman at the fifth flight, 6-1, 6-4, while Broyhill knocked off Ben Esh-Nauta at No. 6, 6-4, 6-4. The two teamed up in doubles action to handle Andrew Bole and Esh-Nauta to the tune of an 8-3.
PC earned the doubles point with Weaver/Broyhill’s win coupled with an 8-5 top-flight win from Bruce and Snead.
In singles, Berghaus stood as the only Blue Hose to go to three sets. The Blue Hose knocked off Bole by a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 margin. At No. 1, Mills dispatched Andrew Darrell, 6-3, 6-4 and O’Connell picked up the win at No. 2 over Quinn Sylow, 6-3, 6-1.
Asis rounded out the perfect singles slate by handling Michael Kaye at the fourth flight, 6-0, 6-3.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Andrew Darrell (GVM) 6-3, 6-4
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Quinn Sylow (GVM) 6-3, 6-1
3. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Andrew Bole (GVM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Michael Kaye (GVM) 6-0, 6-3
5. WEAVER, Steven (PCM) def. Andrew Heuerman (GVM) 6-1, 6-4
6. BROYHILL, P.H. (PCM) def. Ben Esh-Nauta (GVM) 6-4, 6-4
1. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) def. Francis Bertrand/Bryan Hodges (GVM) 8-5
2. Andrew Darrell/Quinn Sylow (GVM) def. ASIS, Gonzalo/CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) 8-6
3. WEAVER, Steven/BROYHILL, P.H. (PCM) def. Andrew Bole/Ben Esh-Nauta (GVM) 8-3