Men's Tennis Grabs Wins Over SIU-Edwardsville, South Dakota State
Photo by Dillard Stephens
ORLANDO, Fla. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team ran its winning streak to six on Tuesday with a 4-3 victory over Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and a tough 6-1 win over South Dakota State.
PC moves to 10-6 on the year. The squad next plays on Friday and will take on Saint Joseph’s at 10:30 a.m. and Grand Valley State at 3.
Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) won both of his singles matches on the day, moving his win streak to eight straight. He currently leads the team with an 11-3 singles record.
PC 4, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 3
The Blue Hose began the day by holding off a one-loss a Southern Illinois-Edwardsville team to the tune of a 4-3 win.
PC swept doubles play to take a hard-fought point. William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) and Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) began at No. 1 by pushing past Marten Jonnson and Nico Kuehn, 8-6.
Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) and Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) followed at the second flight by downing Stephen Washuta and Jacob Tanulanod in a thriller, 9-8. Bruce and Edward Snead (Greenwood, S.C.) added the icing in an 8-5 third-flight win over Gary Dias and Nicolas Vincent.
In singles play, the Blue Hose used singles wins from the second to fourth flights to sew up the result. O’Connell knocked off Vincent at the second flight, 6-2, 6-4, while Bruce defeated Jacob Perkins, 6-2, 7-5.
Berghaus gave PC its third singles win at the fourth flight against Tanulanond, 6-4, 6-2.
1. Marten Jonsson (SIUE) def. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 6-1, 6-4
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Nicolas Vincent (SIUE) 6-2, 6-4
3. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. Jacob Perkins (SIUE) 6-2, 7-5
4. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Jacob Tanulanond (SIUE) 6-4, 6-2
5. Nico Kuehn (SIUE) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Stephen Washuta (SIUE) def. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6
1. O'CONNELL, William/BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. Marten Jonsson/Nico Kuehn (SIUE) 8-6
2. MILLS, Grayson/BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Stephen Washuta/Jacob Tanulanond (SIUE) 9-8
3. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) def. Gary Dias/Nicolas Vincent (SIUE) 8-5
PC 6, South Dakota State 1
PC followed up its first win with another over South Dakota State. The Blue Hose took the doubles point and won five singles matches en route to a 6-1 result.
In doubles, Berghaus and Mills handled James Thorp and Luke Elifson at the second flight, 8-2, while Snead and Nathan Crocker (Clinton, S.C.) defeated Mateus Moreira and Lucas Pereira at the third flight, 8-3.
The Blue Hose rolled through singles action, dropping only one match in a marathon heartbreaker. Brigham nearly took down Parker Lawley at No. 4 before falling, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6).
At No. 1, O’Connell gutted out a win over Andrea Boglic, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4, while Bruce took down Moreira at the second flight, 6-3, 7-6.
Berghaus followed with his second straight win in a decisive victory over Henrique Pereira, 6-1, 6-0.
At No. 5, Asis grabbed a three-set win over James Thorp, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2, and Crocker rounded out the wins in a 6-3, 6-2 result over Lucas Pereira.
1. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Andrea Boglic (SDSUM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. Mateus Moreira (SDSUM) 6-3, 7-6
3. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Henrique Pereira (SDSUM) 6-1, 6-0
4. Parker Lawley (SDSUM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6)
5. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. James Thorp (SDSUM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
6. CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) def. Lucas Pereira (SDSUM) 6-3, 6-2
1. Andrea Boglic/Parker Lawley (SDSUM) def. O'CONNELL, William/BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 8-3
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. James Thorp/Luke Elifson (SDSUM) 8-2
3. SNEAD, Edward/CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) def. Mateus Moreira/Lucas Pereira (SDSUM) 8-3