CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team grabbed three singles wins but the visiting College of Charleston Cougars took home a narrow win on Saturday afternoon, 4-3.
PC moves to 4-5 on the year and 2-5 in the spring. The Blue Hose will have a quick turnaround for their next opponent as the team travels to Furman on Sunday for a 1:30 matchup with the Paladins. College of Charleston improves to 2-1.
The Cougars took doubles and won three of the first four singles matches to conclude in clinching the win.
Freshman Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) made a strong statement to open singles play at the fifth flight. Bruce cruised past Zack Lewis, 6-1, 6-2, evening the day’s score at 1-1.
Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) toughed out a third-flight win over Crescente Lesser, falling in the first set, 4-6, before storming back to take the second set and tiebreaker by 6-3, 10-8 margins.
In the day’s final match, Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) played to a thrilling finish against Alon Faiman. Asis pulled out the opening set, 7-6, before falling in the second, 5-7. The Blue Hose then took the tiebreaker in convincing fashion, 10-3.
In other singles action, Grayson Mills (Liburn, Ga.) and Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) dropped their matches by identical 6-1, 6-3 scores while William O’Connell fell at the second flight to Sebastian Lopez, 6-3, 6-1.
PC showed improvement in doubles play. Berghaus and Mills lost a close match at No. 1 to Brice Allanic, 8-5, and Asis and Nathan Crocker (Clinton, S.C.) fell short against Billy Kenny and Lewis, 8-4.
1. Brice Allanic (COFC) def. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 6-1, 6-3\
2. Sebastian Lopez (COFC) def. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 6-3, 6-1
3. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Crescente Lesser (COFC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-1, 6-3
5. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. Zack Lewis (COFC) 6-1, 6-2
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Alon Faiman (COFC) 7-6, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Brice Allanic/Sebastian Lopez (COFC) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 8-5
2. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) vs. Charlie Ghriskey/Alon Faiman (COFC) unfinished
3. Billy Kenny/Zack Lewis (COFC) def. ASIS, Gonzalo/CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) 8-4