Men's Tennis Tops Wingate, Falls to Davidson
DAVIDSON, N.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis teams split its two Saturday matches, knocking of Wingate, 4-2, before falling to Davidson, 4-0.
PC moves to 4-4 overall on the year. The Blue Hose will next take on the College of Charleston at Templeton Tennis Courts on Saturday, February 9 at 11 a.m.
PC 4, Wingate 2
PC grabbed the doubles point and won three singles matches to take the win over Wingate, ranked No. 26 in NCAA Division I. Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) and Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) held off took the top-flight doubles win over Neal Towlson and Roberto Hennis, 8-7. At No. 3, Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) and Nathan Crocker (Clinton, S.C.) bested Sebastian Hall and Josh Eardley to seal the point, 8-4.
In singles play, Mills took a win at No. 1 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Kennedy Cancelado while William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) gutted out a second-flight win over Towlson, 3-6, 7-6, 7-3.
Asis clinched the match at the fifth flight as the Blue Hose topped Forbes. The two opponents traded 6-1 sets but Asis prevailed in the third, 7-5.
Crocker matched up with Eardley in the sixth flight. The Blue Hose took the first set, 6-3, before falling in the second, 4-6. The match ended before the two could play to a final result.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Kennedy Cancelado (WU) 6-1, 6-2
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Neal Towlson (WU) 3-6, 7-6, 7-3
3. Sebastian Hall (WU) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-3, 6-1
4. Roberto Hennis (WU) def. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6
5. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Ryan Forbes (WU) 1-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) vs. Josh Eardley (WU) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
1. MILLS, Grayson/BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Neal Towlson/Roberto Hennis (WU) 8-7
2. Kennedy Cancelado/Ryan Forbes (WU) def. O'CONNELL, William/BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 8-6
3. ASIS, Gonzalo/CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) def. Sebastian Hall/Josh Eardley (WU) 8-4
Davidson 4, PC 0
With a quick turnaround before facing the Davidson Wildcats, PC dropped an abbreviated match to Davidson by a 4-0 margin.
In doubles play, Chris Mark and Kevin Moore escaped at the first flight with an 8-6 win over Mills and Berghaus while Robert Lightbourn and Nicky Kunz held off Asis and Crocker at No. 3, 8-4.
In singles play, Berghaus found himself in a marathon match with Lightbourn at the third flight. Berghaus recovered from a 6-4 first set loss with a convincing 6-1 win in set number two. The Wildcat prevailed, however, taking a 6-3 win in the third set.
Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) fell at No. 4 to Chris Mark, 7-5, 7-1, while Joe Schafer topped O’Connell at No. 2, 6-3, 6-3.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) vs. Nicky Kunz (DAV) no result
2. Joe Schafer (DAV) def. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
4. Chris Mark (DAV) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 7-5, 6-1
5. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) vs. Connor Evins (DAV) no result
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) vs. Alex Howard (DAV) no result
1. Chris Mark/Kevin Moore (DAV) def. MILLS, Grayson/BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 8-6
2. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) vs. Joe Schafer/Ethan Kallick (DAV) no result
3. Robert Lightbourn/Nicky Kunz (DAV) def. ASIS, Gonzalo/CROCKER, Nathan (PCM) 8-4