CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team dropped its spring home opener in a nail-biter, falling to Troy on Friday afternoon, 4-3.
PC moves to 2-2 on the year and 0-2 in the spring. Troy begins its season at 1-0.
The Blue Hose won three singles matches and the day came down to Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) at the fifth flight against Sami Ghorbel. Bruce prevailed in the opening set, 7-6, before dropping the second by a narrow 7-5 margin. Ghorbel edged the Blue Hose in the final set, 6-3, to seal the win for the Trojans.
After dropping the opening doubles point, PC answered with a strong showing in singles action. Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) breezed past Anas Rouchdi at the top flight, 6-3, 6-0, while William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) dispatched Andre Stabile at No. 2 to the tune of 6-4, 6-3.
Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) won the day’s only other three-set match over Mansingh Athare at the fourth flight. Brigham fell behind after an opening 6-4 loss but recovered, knocking off Athare with 6-4 and 6-3 victories in the second and third sets.
In doubles action, Mills and Berghaus came up short against Ghorbel and Stabile in the top doubles pairing, 8-6. Bustamente and Rouchdi pushed past Nathan Crocker (Clinton, S.C.) and Edward Snead IV (Greenwood, S.C.) to take the doubles point, 8-4.
The Blue Hose return to action on Sunday with a 1 p.m. road match at USC Upstate in Spartanburg, S.C.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Anas Rouchdi (TROY) 6-3, 6-0
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Andre Stabile (TROY) 6-4, 6-3
3. Daniel Bustamante (TROY) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-4, 7-6
4. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) def. Mansingh Athare (TROY) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Sami Ghorbel (TROY) def. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 6-7, 7-5, 6-3
6. Tadju Davies (TROY) def. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) 6-4, 6-3
1. Sami Ghorbel/Andre Stabile (TROY) def. BERGHAUS,
Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 8-6
2. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) vs. Patrick Eichler/Mansingh Athare (TROY) unfinished
3. Daniel Bustamante/Anas Rouchdi (TROY) def. CROCKER, Nathan/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) 8-4