The Blue Hose played in 19 one-run or extra inning games in 2018 and picked up series wins against Charleston Southern, Liberty and UNC Asheville as well as a 7-4 win over South Carolina at Founders Park en route to an overall record of 15-39 (8-19). Infielder Jonathan White was named first team All-Big South with outfielder AJ Priaulx and pitcher Ryan Hedrick earned a spot on the second team. Priaulx also earned All-Academic Team honors for the third consecutive season.
Big South Players of the Week
• AJ Priaulx was named the Big South’s Player of the Week on March 12 after batting an astounding .722 (13-for-18) batting average and a pair of 5-for-5 performances over five games.
• Colton Springs was named the Big South’s Reliever of the Week on May 14 after picking up a win and a save over 3 appearances and 4.0 innings of scoreless work. The junior shined in two appearances against Longwood, striking out seven and not allowing a base runner.
Freshman Pitchers Make Debuts
• Seven rookie PC hurlers made their collegiate debuts in 2018.
• Andrew Durden, Reagan Fowler, Maxx Harpalani, Patrick McNamara, Austin Paradis, Grayson Stoneking, and Trevor Whitley have each debuted on the bump.
• Stoneking ranked in the Big South’s top-10 for pitching appearances (22), while Harpalani (15), Durden (14), Paradis (14), Fowler (8), and Whitely (6) all had multiple appearances.
Going … Going … Gone!
• After hitting just 14 home runs over the first 26 games, the Blue Hose heated up for 32 home runs over the final 28 games, including streaks of five and eight games.
• PC had ten different players record a home run during the season and were paced by senior Nick Wise's career-high nine home runs.
• The Blue Hose hit at least two home runs in 14 games and had a season-high four home runs at Radford on April 27.
The Hits Keep Coming
• Jonathan White led the team with 25 multi-hit games.
• AJ Priaulx has hit a perfect 5-for-5 twice and 4-for-4 once. Jonathan White (5-for-5), Guy Casaceli (4-for-4) and Nick Guimbarda (3-for-3) all had perfect days at the plate as well.
• PC recorded two games with +18 hits for the first time since 2015 when the team had two 19-hit games and a 20-hit game.
Team Effort Over South Carolina
• Seven different players recorded at least one hit against the Gamecocks.
• Nick Guimbarda went 2-for-3 with three runs and an RBI batting leadoff.
• Andrew Durden, Austin Paradis, and Grayson Stoneking combined to allow four runs on six hits over the first 6.2 innings of work.
• Russ Branch and Colton Springs did not allow a hit over the last 2.1 innings. In the bottom of the ninth, Springs needed just 13 pitches to strike out the side and pick up his first save of the season.
• Junior Jonathan White reached base safely for 28 consecutive games from March 2 – April 20. White also recorded at least two hits in nine consecutive games from March 29 – April 11.
• Junior Nick Guimbarda had an 11-game hit streak from April 4–21.
• AJ Priaulx moved into the program’s top-10 for career home runs (19) and sac flys (9).
• AJ Priaulx (169), Nick Wise (119), Nick Guimbarda (111) and TJ Richardson (104) all eclipsed 100 career hits.
• Tanner Chock’s 25 strikeouts looking in the season ranked 2nd all-time for PC behind Bud Jeter’s 27 in 2013.
• Ryan Hedrick moved into a tie for second in PC’s modern era with 12 career saves.