Clinton, S.C. – PC opens its Big South road slate on Saturday, January 6 with a 5:00 p.m. tilt at Longwood University. The Blue Hose defeated the Lancers 63-62 the last time they played in Willett Hall.
Who: Presbyterian College (3-9, 0-1 BSC) at Longwood University (2-10, 0-1 BSC)
When: Saturday, January 6 – 5:00 p.m.
Where: Farmville, Va. – Willett Hall (1,807)
Watch: Big South Network
Social Media: @BlueHoseWBB
Storey Named Preseason All-Conference
- Senior PG Cortney Storey has been named to 2017-18 Big South Preseason All-Conference team. She was the 2014-15 Freshman of the Year, 2015-16 Big South Honorable Mention and 2016-17 Big South Second Team honoree.
- Storey is the first preseason honoree since Karlee Taylor in 2013-14.
1,000 Point Scorers
- Storey surpassed the 1,000-point mark in the NC Central game when she scored on a fast break lay-up. She became the third member of the Division I era of PC basketball to reach 1,000 points and number 111 in Big South history including the fourth to do it this season. She currently sits at 1,071 points following the Liberty game.
- Janie Miles is next in line for the Blue Hose as she now has 898 points following her 14 points against Liberty. If she keeps up her 9.3 points per game pace she should reach 1,000 points around mid-February becoming the fourth member of the PC Division I 1,000-point club.
- Currently five Big South players have reached 1,000 points this season, including Storey and five more are within range of reaching that milestone this season, including Miles.
Blue Hose Go for 10+ Again
- PC enters this season with three straight 10+ win Big South campaigns. The Blue Hose have achieved that feat four of the last five seasons overall.
- Overall they have won 10+ conference games in 13 of the last 30 seasons with nine coming as members of the South Atlantic Conference and four in the Big South.
Storey Setting Records
- Storey is currently on pace to set a number of season records at PC. Her 16.3 points per game sits at 3.7 more points per game than her own record of 12.7 that she set in 2016-17. She is also averaging 5.4 assists per game, that is 1.0 assists higher than her record 4.4 set in 2016-17. And she is also averaging 38.8 minutes per game, 1.9 per game more than Katlin Moore’s record of 36.9 set in 2008-09.
- Storey has already tied her record of five 20-point efforts in the first 12 games of the season. She already owns the career 20-point efforts record with 11, 10 in the last two seasons.
- 3 points per game ranks second in the Big South this season and 5.4 assists leads the Big South by 1.1 per game. 1.6 steals per game also ranks seventh in the Big South.
Miles Having Career Year
- Miles is having her best season of her career average wise in points at 9.3, three-point shooting, 41.3 percent, free-throw shooting, 75.0 percent and assists at 2.2
- She needs just 102 points to become the fourth member of PC’s Division I era 1,000-point club.
Blue Hose Offensive Notes
- PC is averaging 57.5 points per game on 37.2 percent shooting including 32.7 percent from three. The Blue Hose also average 12.4 assists and 7.8 steals per game this season.
- PC has made 99 three-points baskets, an average of 8.3 per game which is tops in the Big South and the highest per game average in PC history. PC’s 32.7 percent mark from three is the second highest in the Division I era as it made 38.0 percent in 2012-13, however in 2012-13 the Blue Hose only shot 366 three-pointers the entire season, they have already shot 303 in the first 12 games this season.
- When the Blue Hose scored 83 points at USC Upstate it was the most points they had scored since scoring 83 in a game vs Truett-McConnel on December 16, 2012.
- The Blue Hose would set a program record in the NC Central game as they made 30 free throws on just 34 attempts breaking the previous record of 26 set against High Point on Feb. 23, 2013.
- In the Blue Hose final non-conference match-up they stormed back from four different 14-point deficits to defeat Furman 76-75. Storey scored 24 and Macee Tamminen scored 15 on five made three-pointers to help propel the Blue Hose past the Paladins in OT. It was the first win for PC over Furman since 1982.
- Storey would set a PC record when she made 17 free throws in her 26-point effort against NC Central.
- The freshmen have played huge rolls in the Blue Hose success this season beginning with Mattie Kennedy who scored 13 points on three made three-pointers vs Kennesaw State. Briley Buckner was next as she led the team vs Duke with 11 points. In PC’s comeback win over Furman Tamminen had a huge performance with 15 points on five made threes and then Tess Santos in her third career start would score a game high 19 points without missing a single shot as she went 5-5 from the field, 3-3 from three and 6-6 from the line against Liberty.
- Redshirt-Sophomore Ericka Blackwell-Boyden had her biggest game against UNCG as she scored a career high 15.
- Miles had her second best two game stretch of her four-year career when she scored 33 combined points at USC Upstate and at Chattanooga. Her best two games were 35 points back in her freshman season at NC Central and at Campbell.
Scouting the Lancers
- The Lancers are 2-10, 0-1 in Big South play this season and are fresh off a 73-57 loss at Charleston Southern on Tuesday night. This will be their Big South home opener; they are 2-3 at home this season.
- Longwood scores 56.3 points per game on 32.1 percent shooting while surrendering 71.5 points and allowing teams to shoot 42.8 percent.
- LWU grabs 37.2 rebounds, dishes out 9.0 assists and grabs 7.7 steals per game.
- Autumn Childress scored 10.8 points per game this season to lead the way for Longwood, Kristina Antonenko is close behind at 9.8 points per game. Childress also averages 10.2 rebounds, tops in the Big South.
- Micaela Ellis is the leading point guard for the Lancers as she averages 3.4 assists and grabs 1.8 steals per game.
- Longwood is led by coach Bill Reinson who is in his eighth season as head coach and sports a 53-164 record with the Lancers.
Blue Hose Versus Flames
- PC and Longwood have met 15 times with PC owning the series 10-5 all-time. The Blue Hose have currently won eight in a row in the series.
- Last season the Blue Hose defeated the Lancers by 10 in Clinton 65-55 and in Farmville came away victorious 63-62.
- Nine of the 15 meetings have been decided by single digits.