Fayetteville, N.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a dominant pitching performance from Junior Eric Miles en route to a 2-1 victory over Gardner-Webb in the Big South Conference tournament on Wednesday evening at Segra Stadium.
Final Score: Presbyterian 2, Gardner-Webb 1
Location: Fayetteville, N.C. (Segra Stadium)
Records: Presbyterian (30-27) | Gardner-Webb (25-25)
WP: Eric Miles (7-4) | LP: Landon Mitchell (7-6) | Save: Colton Springs (4)
- With his first inning double, Nick Guimbarda moved into a tie for third in career doubles with the 43rd of his career as a Blue Hose.
- With his seven strikeouts on Wednesday night, Eric Miles moved into sole possession of sixth place in the Blue Hose D1 record book for strikeouts with 171 during his Presbyterian career.
- Miles, with the win, tied the D1 single season record for wins in a year with his seventh victory. Miles also had seven wins during the 2017 season.
- Colton Springs with the save moved into a tie for fourth in the single season D1 record book with his fourth save of the year.
- Ashby Smith matched the team-high with his 10th multi RBI game of the season.
- The Blue Hose picked up their 30th win for just the second time in the D1 era. Presbyterian won 32 games during the 2017 season.
- PC improves to 21-7 in games where it scores first and picked up its 12th win in one-run games during the 2019 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Hose got on the board in the first inning. Following a double from Guimbarda, Smith lined an RBI single down the left field line to give PC the 1-0 lead.
- Gardner-Webb got on the board in the fourth with an RBI double to right-center to even the game at one.
- In the sixth, Smith added a run on a sacrifice fly to center field which allowed Rasberry to score and make it 2-1 Blue Hose.
- The lead was enough for Clark Dearman and Colton Springs to help finish off the 2-1 win for PC.
- The Blue Hose now advance in the winners bracket to face Winthrop at 9 a.m. tomorrow at Segra Stadium. The game will be shown on ESPN+.