Radford, Va. – The Presbyterian College women’s tennis team was defeated by UNC Asheville in the Big South Quarterfinals on Wednesday afternoon, 4-2. PC concludes the 2018-19 season with a record of 17-7, with a 7-2 Big South regular season mark.
PC began the match by dropping the doubles point. Beth Taylor and Katie Thompson were upended on court three and then Samantha Calais and Jessica Leeman fell on court two to give the Bulldogs the first point of the match. Sydney Patton and Tracy Johnson did not complete their match on court one.
The Blue Hose bounced back in singles action. Leeman, playing on court four, grabbed the first victory of the day for the Blue Hose to tie the match at one. On court two, Calais gave PC a 2-1 advantage in the match with a straight-set victory. The sophomore did not lose a single game in the deciding second set. UNC Asheville then won the next three contests that finished, clinching the match. Ella Rowley did not finish her match on court six, after having fought back from a 5-1 deficit to force a tiebreaker in the first set.
“All season we were able to put pressure on our opponent and come out on the good end,” said head coach Steve Brooks. “Today, it was Asheville that came out on top. They played us very well on courts 1, 3, and 5 and that was the difference.”
Full results of the match can be found below:
1. MORKEL, Lize Alet (AVLW) def. PATTON, Sydney (PC) 6-4, 6-2
2. CALAIS, Samantha (PC) def. LOUW, Christin (AVLW) 6-4, 6-0
3. SIDOR, Emily (AVLW) def. TAYLOR, Beth (PC) 6-2, 6-4
4. LEEMAN, Jessica (PC) def. LOVE, Taylor (AVLW) 6-1, 6-4
5. WATSON-STEELE, L. (AVLW) def. THOMPSON, Katie (PC) 6-4, 6-2
6. ROWLEY, Ella (PC) vs. SHIPLEY, Kylee (AVLW) 6-7 (6-8), 2-5, unfinished
1. PATTON, Sydney/JOHNSON, Tracy (PC) vs. MORKEL, Lize Alet/LOVE, Taylor (AVLW) 4-5, unfinished
2. LOUW, Christin/WATSON-STEELE, L. (AVLW) def. CALAIS, Samantha/LEEMAN, Jessica (PC) 6-4
3. SHIPLEY, Kylee/FRANCISCO, Hannah (AVLW) def. TAYLOR, Beth/THOMPSON, Katie (PC) 6-2