Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College women’s basketball team hosts the Charleston Southern Buccaneers at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 30. The Blue Hose will be going for their third win in a row and fifth in the last six games.
Who: Presbyterian (7-12, 4-4 BSC) vs Charleston Southern (7-12, 2-6 BSC)
When: Tuesday, January 30 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Clinton, S.C. – The Templeton Center (2,500)
Watch: Big South Network
Social Media: @BlueHoseWBB
Last Time Out
- The Blue Hose defeated the UNC Asheville Bulldogs by a 76-74 score on Saturday afternoon as Cortney Storey scored the winning layup with two seconds left in the contest. She then stole the ball in the final seconds keeping Asheville from even attempting a final shot.
- PC finished with 12 made three-pointers, its fourth straight game with at least 10-made threes and ninth overall this season. This is a record for consecutive games making 10+ three-pointers. This is the ninth game with 10+ on the season, also a PC record for 10+ makes in a season.
- This marked the first time in the Division I era that the Blue Hose scored 75+ points in consecutive games against Division I opposition. They had previously achieved the feat vs Montreat and Columbia College in December of 2011.
- Hall recorded her third 20-point effort all in the last five games.
- Miles finished the game with 16 points, her fourth straight game with 15+ points.
- Storey was one assist shy of a double-double as she finished with 19 points, nine assists and four steals, including the game clincher for the victory.
Blue Hose Offensive Notes
- PC is averaging 60.4 points per game this season on 38.4 percent shooting from the field, 32.8 percent from three and a Big South leading 76.1 percent from the charity stripe. The Blue Hose are 7-0 this season when scoring at least 65 points.
- The Blue Hose average a Big South leading 9.1 three-point makes per game, that ranks number 15 in the country.
- 19 games into the season and the Blue Hose have already made 172 three-point baskets which ranks as the third most in a single season in the Division I era, the Blue Hose still have a minimum of 11 games to play. They are on pace to make 272 three-pointers which would break the record of 230 set last season.
- The 32.8 percent from three is the second highest rate in program history. The record of 38.0 percent was done in 2012-13, a season they only shot 366 threes compared to already having taken 524 threes this season.
- The Blue Hose rank in the top 50 nationally in two categories, three-point makes per game (9.1) is 15th and free throw percentage (76.1) is 23rd.
- The Blue Hose have improved in free throw percentage each of the last four seasons, 68.2 in ‘14-15, 72.7 in ‘15-16, 74.9 in ‘16-17 and 76.1 this season.
- PC has overcome 10-plus point deficits to win three of its seven games. It was down 14 in the win over Furman, down 11 in the comeback vs Campbell and down 15 on two occasions in the first half at UNC Asheville, however, it led the majority of the second half as the game was tied 38-38 at the intermission.
- When PC scored 83 points at USC Upstate it tied the ninth most points in a single game with the 83 scored vs Truett-McConnell on 12/16/13.
- Five of the top 10 performances in made three-pointers have come this season. It tied the record of 15 vs. Furman on 12/30, made 14 which is tied-third vs. Gardner-Webb on 1/16, 13 vs. Liberty 1/2 which is tied-fifth, 12 vs Winthrop on 1/23 and at UNC Asheville on 1/27 both of which are tied-seventh.
- The Blue Hose set a program record for three-point percentage when they made 61.1 percent of their three-pointers (11-18) versus Upstate (11/15).
- The Blue Hose set a new record for made free throws in a game when they went 30-34 vs North Carolina Central.
- Presbyterian recorded season highs in assists with 23 and steals with 15 in the Winthrop game. The 23 assists rank as the fifth most in a single game in PC Division I history while the 15 steals are the sixth most.
- Storey set a PC Division I record vs Winthrop (1/23) when she recorded 14 assists, this was the most assists by anyone in the Big South this season. It is also tied-seventh most in a single game this season nationally.
- Storey set a PC individual record for made free throws with 17 vs NC Central, the previous record had been 11. She also tied her personal high and school record with 27 points at USC Upstate.
- Versus Gardner-Webb (1/16) and at UNC Asheville (1/27) Storey came within one assist of her second career double-double as she finished with 10 points and nine assists vs GWU and 19 points and nine assists at Asheville. Her first double-double was at UNCG in 2016-17 when she scored 19 points and 10 assists.
- Hall scored 23 points on 9-15 shooting and 4-7 from three vs Campbell (1/13). The nine made field goals were a career high. She followed that up with 20 points vs Gardner-Webb (1/16) on five made threes.
- Over the last five games Hall has scored 23, 20, 8, 16 and 20 points. The Blue Hose are 4-1 in that stretch with the four wins coming when she scores in double figures.
- Ericka Blackwell-Boyden scored a career high 15 points versus UNCG (12/21) on 70.0 percent shooting from the field.
- Miles is in the midst of her best four game stretch of her career as she has scored 15+ points in four straight games, 61 total points over the last four. This breaks her previous best of 53 points in the last four games of her freshman season.
- Riley Hemm in her lone start of the season scored 12 points with five rebounds and two assists versus NC Central (12/17) all three figures are career highs.
- Virola had her best game of the season versus Winthrop as she was two rebounds shy of a double-double with 13 points and eight rebounds. This was her first double figure effort of the season. She made her first start of the season at UNC Asheville and scored eight points with four rebounds in 18 minutes.
- Freshmen have recorded eight double figure scoring efforts this season led by Tamminen’s four. Five different freshmen have contributed a game with 10+ points.
- The highest scoring individual game by a freshman is the 19 points that Tess Santos scored vs Liberty. Santos was named Freshman of the Week (1/29) for her 6.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game in two wins over Winthrop and at UNC Asheville.
- Macee Tamminen scored a career high 18 points and three steals vs Gardner-Webb (1/16). This was her freshman leading fourth double figure scoring effort. She ranks fourth on the team scoring 5.3 points per game all off the bench, and is a two time Big South Freshman of the Week, (1/2) and (1/22).
1,000 Point Scorers
- Storey surpassed the 1,000-point mark in the NC Central game when she scored on a fast break lay-up. She became the third member of the Division I era of PC basketball to reach 1,000 points and number 111 in Big South history including the fourth to do it this season. She currently sits at 1,161 points following the Asheville game.
- Miles is next in line for the Blue Hose as she now has 982 points following the Asheville game. If she keeps up her 10.3 points per game pace she should reach 1,000 points on February 3 at Liberty becoming the fourth member of the PC Division I 1,000-point club.
- Currently five Big South players have reached 1,000 points this season, including Storey and five more are within range of reaching that milestone this season, including Miles.
Storey Setting Records
- Storey is averaging career highs in points with 15.1, assists at 6.1, field goal percentage at 47.1, free throw percentage at 85.1 and minutes per game at 38.5. Her 6.1 assists per game is 20th nationally.
- 1 points per game rank as the best in PC Division I history, 6.1 assists per game is the best in PC history, 115 assists already rank as the third best total for a single season. She also averages 1.9 steals per game which is the fifth best average.
- All four of Storey’s assist totals will rank in the top 10 in PC Division I history. 137 in 2016-17 is currently first followed by 126 in 2015-16 ranking second and this season’s 115 is third. The 83 she had as a freshman is still the seventh best total.
- Storey has 1,161 points which is 18 points shy of Karlee Taylor’s 1,179 for second place. Her 394 made field goals are the second most behind Mariah Pietrowski’s 506. She is already first with 990 career attempts.
- Storey now has 461 career assists, 131 more than Dria David who is second and 270 ahead of Miles who has the second most among active players. Her 4.2 career assists per game average is 0.8 more than the second place Amy Jones who averaged 3.4 over the course of 26 games at the Division I level. She is now third in all-time PC history, 57 shy of Barbara Frady’s 518 which is second.
- She is second in career steals at the Division I level with 198, 25 behind David’s 223. She is 10th in all-time PC history. Storey sits two steals shy of becoming the first Blue Hose player to ever score 1,000 points, 400 assists and 200 steals.
Miles Having Career Year
- Miles is having her best season statistically in a number of categories: scoring (10.3), three-point field goal percentage (43.4), free throw percentage (77.4), rebounding (3.9), assists per game (2.5) and minutes per game (30.9).
- Miles is approaching a couple of milestone numbers as well as she has 982 points, 18 shy of 1,000 and 191 assists just nine shy of 200. If she can reach those numbers she will be just the second Blue Hose player of the Division I era with 1,000 points and 200 assists along with classmate, Storey.
- Miles currently has the third best three-point field goal percentage in a season at 43.4 (43-99). Her 43.4 percent three-point percentage is ranked 30th nationally and first in the Big South.
- For her career she ranks in the top 10 of PC Division I history in a number of categories: Points (982) is currently fourth, points per game (8.8) is eighth, fourth in made field goals (324), second in made three-pointers (174), third in three-point percentage (36.7), fifth in made free throws (160), fifth in assists (191) and fourth in steals (125).
Storey Named Preseason All-Conference
- Senior PG Storey has been named to 2017-18 Big South Preseason All-Conference team. She was the 2014-15 Freshman of the Year, 2015-16 Big South Honorable Mention and 2016-17 Big South Second Team honoree.
- Storey is the first preseason honoree since Karlee Taylor in 2013-14.
Blue Hose Go for 10+ Again
- PC enters this season with three straight 10+ win Big South campaigns. The Blue Hose have achieved that feat four of the last five seasons overall.
- Overall they have won 10+ conference games in 13 of the last
- 30 seasons with nine coming as members of the South Atlantic Conference and four in the Big South.
Scouting the Buccaneers
- The Buccaneers are 7-12 overall and 2-6 in the Big South. They are currently riding a three game losing streak heading into this matchup.
- Charleston Southern scores 63.6 points per game and allows 60.4 points per game. It shoots the ball at a 39.4 percent clip including 33.4 percent from three while allowing teams to shoot at a 36.7 percent rate and 27.1 percent from behind the arc.
- Njeri Nelms, Shelby Wilbanks and Rachel Burns are the leading scorers for the Buccaneers as Nelms scores 9.8, Wilbanks scores 9.4 and Burns, 9.2. Burns also leads the way in steals as she is tied for first in the conference with a 2.2 average.
- Weknyne Dumorne leads the way in rebounding with a 7.2 average followed by Burns’ 6.1 average.
- Nelms with 42 assists and Shauntavia Dobson with 40 lead the Buccaneers in assists this season.
- The Buccaneers are led by sixth year head coach Fred Applin.
Blue Hose vs the Buccaneers
- PC and Charleston Southern have met 24 times and the series is deadlocked at 12-12.
- Charleston Southern won the most recent meeting 52-34 in Charleston but overall the Blue Hose have won seven of eight meetings.