CLEMSON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team was edged at Clemson on Sunday afternoon, 4-3, in the regular season finale for the Blue Hose.
The Tigers took the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Clemson got a 6-3 win at No. 3 from Robert Dudley and Daffra Sanon and a 6-4 win on court one from Luke Johnson and Christian Harris. The match on court two went unfinished tied at 4-4.
In singles, PC and Clemson each took three matches to split the six. Clemson earned a win at No. 4 to take a 2-0 lead but Danny Bruce claimed the match at No. 3, 7-5, 6-1, to cut it to 2-1. The Tigers pushed the lead to 3-1 with a victory on court six, before Diego Manzanas won 7-6, 6-3, on court five to make it a 3-2 match with two matches to play.
Clemson clinched the match with a three-set victory at No. 2 but PC took the final match of the day at No. 1 in three sets. Alejandro Bejar won the opening set on court two, 7-5, but Clemson’s Sanon took the final two, 6-3, 6-1. On court one, Alexander Lykou dropped set one, 6-4, but rallied to take the final two frame, 7-6 (8-6), 7-5.
PC earned the No. 2 seed in the Big South Championship, which is set to begin on Wednesday. The Blue Hose will play the No. 7 seed Campbell at 11 a.m. on Thursday in Lynchburg, Va.
Clemson 4, Presbyterian 3
1. Alexander Lykou (PC) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 7-5
2. Daffra Sanon (CU) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
3. Danny Bruce (PC) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Robert Dudley (CU) def. Brandon Mills (PC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Arturo Pinazo (CU) 7-6, 6-3
6. Christian Harris (CU) def. Ben Kelley (PC) 6-4, 6-3
1. Luke Johnson/Christian Harris (CU) def. Brandon Mills/Alexander Lykou (PC) 6-4
2. Austin Ansari/Arturo Pinazo (CU) vs. Danny Bruce/Ben Kelley (PC) 4-4, unfinished
3. Robert Dudley/Daffra Sanon (CU) def. Joel Roberts/Diego Manzanas (PC) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,3,6,5,2,1)