ROCK HILL, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team fell at Winthrop on Thursday afternoon, 5-2, in its final Big South match of the season. The Blue Hose finish with a 6-2 mark in league play, good for sole possession of second place.
The Eagles opened the match by taking two of the three doubles matches for the 1-0 lead. Ben Kelley and Danny Bruce earned a 6-4 victory at No. 2 for their sixth victory as a pair. WU would take the matches at No. 1 and 3 by the score of 6-4.
In singles, Winthrop took four of the singles matches for the victory. Bruce won his sixth straight match for PC in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3. Brandon Mills improved to 7-1 in conference play with a three-set win at No. 5, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. The match hinged on courts one, four and six with all three resulting in Winthrop victories in three sets.
PC wraps up the regular season on Sunday at Clemson at 5 p.m.
Winthrop 5, Presbyterian 2
1. MITCHELL, Tremayne (WU) def. Alexander Lykou (PC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. QUIROZ, Diego (WU) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Danny Bruce (PC) def. PATRICK, Steven (WU) 6-1, 6-1
4. TEIXEIRA, Ruy (WU) def. Diego Manzanas (PC) 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
5. Brandon Mills (PC) def. CHEN, Michael (WU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. GOKHALE, Aditya (WU) def. Ben Kelley (PC) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-4
1. PATRICK, Steven/MITCHELL, Tremayne (WU) def. Brandon Mills/Alexander Lykou (PC) 6-4
2. Ben Kelley/Danny Bruce (PC) def. CHEN, Michael/QUIROZ, Diego (WU) 6-4
3. RYAN, Josh/TEIXEIRA, Ruy (WU) def. Diego Manzanas/Joel Roberts (PC) 6-4