CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team fell to Kennesaw State, 6-1, on Saturday at the Templeton Tennis Courts in Clinton, S.C. The later match against Davidson was cancelled due to inclement weather.
Kennesaw State claimed two of the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead in the match. The Owls’ Simon Pritchard and Manuel Castellanos earned a 6-2 win at No. 1 and David Durham and Drew Wendel claimed a 6-4 win at No. 2. The third match went unfinished with the score at 5-4.
The Owl claimed five of the six matches on the singles side to earn the victory. The lone PC win came at No. 6 as Ben Kelley record his team-high sixth win of the season with a 6-4, 6-3 victory.
Two of the matches ended in close three sets. Danny Bruce battled Durham at No. 3, taking the first set 6-3 before dropping the second 6-3. Durham would edge Bruce in the tiebreaker set, 10-4, to claim the match. On court four, Diego Manzanas took set one, 6-2, over KSU’s Alejandro Valencia but dropped the second, 6-2. Valencia held off Manzanas in the third set, 6-4, for the win.
Presbyterian returns to action on Thursday, February 24, with its second conference match of the year against Radford in Clinton, S.C.
1. Simon Pritchard (KSU) def. Alexander Lykou (PC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Manuel Castellanos (KSU) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 6-4, 6-1
3. David Durham (KSU) def. Danny Bruce (PC) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Alejandro Valencia (KSU) def. Diego Manzanas (PC) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Lucas de Torres Cuth (KSU) def. Brandon Mills (PC) 6-2, 6-2
1. Manuel Castellanos/Simon Pritchard (KSU) def. Alexander Lykou/Brandon Mills (PC) 6-2
2. David Durham/Drew Wendel (KSU) def. Danny Bruce/Diego Manzanas (PC) 6-4
3. Will Baird/Ben Kelley (PC) vs. Alejandro Valencia/Jorge Wilton (KSU) 4-5, unfinished