CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team opened Big South play with a 4-3 victory over Gardner-Webb on Thursday afternoon at the Templeton Tennis Courts in Clinton, S.C.
PC (2-8, 1-0 BSC) earns its fifth straight win over the Bulldogs (1-5, 0-1 BSC) on the tennis courts. It was also the third conference-opening win for PC in the last four seasons.
Gardner-Webb took an early 1-0 lead in the match by claiming two of the three doubles matches. Brandon Mills and Alexander Lykou earned a 6-4 win on court one but the Bulldogs won on courts two and three, 6-3 and 6-4, respectively.
PC responded in singles play, though, as Brandon Mills opened with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 5 to the tie the match at 1-1. Gardner-Webb reclaimed the lead with a 6-0, 6-4 win on court two by Nikita Zverkov. Ben Kelley then tied it at 2-2 with a 7-6, 6-4 win at No. 6 for his team-high fifth win of the season.
Diego Manzanas grinded out a three-set win at No. 4, 7-5, 2-6, 6-2, to give PC the lead with two matches to play. Danny Bruce then clinched the win for PC with a three-set victory on court three, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, to put the Blue Hose in front, 4-2.
Gardner-Webb would claim the final match of the day, as Maximilian Scholl outlasted Alejandro Bejar in three sets, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2.
PC returns to action on Saturday with a doubleheader at home against Kennesaw State and Davidson.
Presbyterian 4, Gardner-Webb 3
1. Maximilian Scholl (GWU) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Nikita Zverkov (GWU) def. Alexander Lykou (PC) 6-0, 6-4
3. Danny Bruce (PC) def. Benjamin Kaszas (GWU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
4. Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Yaroslav Prostakov (GWU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
5. Brandon Mills (PC) def. Jonathan Walker (GWU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ben Kelley (PC) def. Paul Hogan (GWU) 7-6, 6-4
1. Brandon Mills/Alexander Lykou (PC) def. Nikita Zverkov/Yaroslav Prostakov (GWU) 6-4
2. Jonathan Walker/Paul Hogan (GWU) def. Danny Bruce/Diego Manzanas (PC) 6-3
3. Maximilian Scholl/Benjamin Kaszas (GWU) def. Ben Kelley/Will Baird (PC) 6-4