GREENVILLE, N.C. – In a match that lasted nearly 6 hours, the Presbyterian College men’s tennis team fell just short against East Carolina, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon in Greenville, N.C. The Blue Hose wrap up their three-day North Carolina trip with two matches on Monday at Bryant and Pfeiffer.
ECU started the match with wins at No. 1 and 2 doubles to take the point for the early 1-0 lead. After ECU’s Tendai Tapfuma and James Ling claimed a 6-4 win at No. 1, PC’s Diego Manzanas and Will Baird evened it up with a 6-4 win on court three. Vlad Anghel and Fredric Lehfeldt would hold off Brandon Mills and Danny Bruce, 6-4, on court two to give the Pirates the doubles point.
Singles play featured four three-set matches in a very evenly-matched contest. Court one featured a highly-competitive match that saw both sets go to a tiebreak. ECU’s Tapfuma came out on top in both frames for the 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (8-6) victory.
Bruce rallied for a comeback, three-set win at No. 2 with set scores of 6-7 (7-9), 6-4, 6-3. Manzanas also claimed a three-set victory at No. 3, taking the match by scores of 6-4, 2-6, 6-0, evening the match at 2-2. Lehfeldt would push ECU back in front with a 6-2, 7-5 win on court four to set up a dramatic finish.
The match would hinge on three-set matches on courts five and six. Ben Kelley emerged victorious on court six, topping ECU’s Will Bissett, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), to tie the match at 3-3 with one to go. Ultimately, Ronny Georgi for ECU would prevail to give his team the 4-3 victory.
Five sets in singles play were decided by tiebreaker for a 7-6 set score.
East Carolina 4, Presbyterian 3
1. Tendai Tapfuma (ECU) def. BEJAR,Alejandro (PC) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (8-6)
2. BRUCE,Danny (PC) def. Vlad Anghel (ECU) 6-7 (7-9), 6-4, 6-3
3. MANZANAS,Diego (PC) def. Kasey Countee (ECU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
4. Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) def. ROBERTS,Joel (PC) 6-2, 7-5
5. Ronny Georgi (ECU) def. MILLS,Brandon (PC) 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1
6. KELLEY,Ben (PC) def. Will Bissett (ECU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Tendai Tapfuma/James Ling (ECU) def. ROBERTS,Joel/KELLEY,Ben (PC) 6-4
2. Vlad Anghel/Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) def. MILLS,Brandon/BRUCE,Danny (PC) 6-4
3. BAIRD,Will/MANZANAS,Diego (PC) def. Kasey Countee/Will Bissett (ECU) 6-4