GREENVILLE, N.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team fell to Xavier, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon in Greenville, N.C. The Blue Hose (1-5) are back in action on Sunday when they face off against East Carolina at 11 a.m.
Xavier took the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Ben Kelley and Joel Roberts earned their second straight win and third in four matches with a 6-3 win at No. 1. Jeremy Schneider and Jack Dykema for Xavier claimed a 6-3 at No. 2 and Arthur Stefani and Gabriel Chaves Araujo won 6-3 at No. 3.
PC and Xavier would go head-to-head in three close first sets to start the singles side of things. The Mountaineers edged the Blue Hose in each to grab momentum early on and eventually clinch the victory with wins on courts one, two and three.
Ben Kelley provided the bright spot for PC in singles in the final match of the day. Kelley outlasted Jack Dykema on court six with another three-set win by scores of 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8). It was his team-leading third win in his last four matches.
Danny Bruce put together a strong effort at No. 1 but could not overtake Zach Mueck, falling 6-4, 7-5. Alejandro Bejar and Diego Manzanas each came out on the wrong end of 7-5 first sets, before falling 6-2 in the second. Xavier’s Stefani and Araujo won their respective matches at No. 4 and 5 to give the Mountaineers the 6-1 win.
Xavier 6, Presbyterian 1
1. Zach Mueck (XU) def. Danny Bruce (PC) 6-4, 7-5
2. Jeremy Schneider (XU) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 7-5, 6-2
3. Matt Bishop (XU) def. Diego Manzanas (PC) 7-5, 6-2
4. Arthur Stefani (XU) def. Joel Roberts (PC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Gabriel Chaves Araujo (XU) def. Brandon Mills (PC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ben Kelley (PC) def. Jack Dykema (XU) 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Joel Roberts/Ben Kelley (PC) def. Zach Mueck/Matt Bishop (XU) 6-3
2. Jeremy Schneider/Jack Dykema (XU) def. Brandon Mills/Danny Bruce (PC) 6-3
3. Arthur Stefani/Gabriel Chaves Araujo (XU) def. Will Baird/Diego Manzanas (PC) 6-3