The nickname “Blue Hose” began in the early 1900’s, when sportswriters referred to the Presbyterian College athletic teams as the “Blue Stockings” because of the blue socks they wore. Writers used the terms “stockings” and “hose” interchangeably over the years.
They often shortened “stockings” to “hose” in newspaper headlines.
Coincidentally enough, former college PR guy Ben Hay Hammet’s 1982 centennial history of PC noted that blue-stocking Presbyterians also referred to “Presbyterians with strong puritan leanings.”
“At any rate,” Hammet wrote, “the sports nickname was shortened to ‘Blue Hose’ in 1954- presumably under the assumption that it sounded somewhat fiercer to carry onto the field of athletic battle.”
The student body adopted the nickname as the official school nickname in the 1950’s.
“Blue Hose” has survived all these years, taking on even more meaning. Today the name signifies fierce Scottish warriors, further adding to Hammet’s take on the term. This interpretation also reflects the college's Scottish heritage.